The perfect traditional Greek veal Sofrito recipe straight from the island of Corfu!!With this step-by-step easy to follow Greek Sofrito recipe you can easily recreate this traditional delight from scratch! If you ever been at Corfu you can’t have missed this incredibly tasty traditional dish of juicy and tender, melt-in-the-mouth veal with a delicious intense garlic and vinegar based sauce. Simply amazing!
- 1 kg (35 oz./2 pounds) boneless veal (top round), cut in 6 slices
- 150g all purpose flour, for dredging (5 oz.)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 of a cup olive oil, for frying
- 7-9 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/3 of a cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 of a cup white wine
- 1 and 2/3 cups beef broth (warm)
- 1/2 a cup freshly chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this delicious Greek sofrito recipe, start by preparing the veal. Season the meat with salt and freshly ground pepper and dredge lightly the veal slices with flour, tapping off any excess. Heat the oil and butter in a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal (in batches) and sauté, until browned on all sides. Do not add all the meat in the sauce pan, rather sauté in batches, so that the temperature of the oil remains high and the meat is sealed. When done, remove with a slotted spoon, place on a platter, cover and set aside.
- Cut the garlic cloves in slices and add in the same oil used to brown the meat. Turn down to medium heat and stir for a minute. Pour in the white wine vinegar and deglaze. Add the veal and the white wine and wait for a couple of minutes to steam up. Add the warm broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat down to low-medium and simmer until the veal is tender and the sauce thickens, for about 30-40 minutes. About 5 minutes before removing from the heat, stir in the freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve the Sofrito while still hot over mashed potatoes, rice or fries, with some crusted garlic bread aside. Enjoy!