The museum was established in 1874, in a building designed by the Greek architect Katsaros. In 1930s two rooms were added to the initial central building. The new design is attributed to the Danish architect Christiansen Hansen.
The museum contains the following collections:
Small objects from sanctuaries at Sparta
Inscribed stelai from the temple of Artemis Orthia
Sculptures of Archaic, Classical and Roman date