The origin of the name “MAVROKORDATOS” derives from the two great Byzantine families, the Mavrous and the Gordatous, which became Mavrogordatos and eventually Mavrokordatos.
The family members settled in Chios around the year 1570 where they developed commercial and economic ties with the Genovese..
The Mavrokordatiko building was constructed in January, 1736. Since that time it was passed down to family members until 1938 when the last of the generation donated it to the Chios Municipality.
Today it is used as a traditional guest house, restaurant and cafeteria.
[flexiblemap center=”38.34381037525607,26.136131286621094″ title=””Mavrokordatiko” Hostel on the island of Chios” directions=”true” dirdraggable=”true” width=”100%” zoom=”12″ hidestreetview=”false” hidescale=”false”]